Wednesday 6 February 2013

19. do you hear the people sing...?

I know that this is rather a late post on Les Miserables, as it came out almost a month ago here in the UK, however, due to going back to uni prior to its release (and only having one screen in our cinema), it wasn't shown in Aberystwyth until the 25th January (a whole two weeks after it first came out!) 

However, this did allow me to read the book, prior to seeing the film, and although it took a while to get into (Victor Hugo - you are very descriptive and detailed), it meant that when I went to see the film, I was able to understand thing much better. The book was brilliant though, as it allowed me to understand the characters much better, but I was desperate to see the film. My friend had already seen it twice by the time it was shown in Aber, and her squeeing over Eddie Redmayne, just made me impatient!

Rob was somewhat skeptical about going to see the film (I don't think my listening - and singing along - to the soundtrack helped) but I dragged him along anyway, with the promise that I'd try and not sing along to the actual film. And I have to say, it was worth waiting for! I LOVED IT! Hugh Jackman was brilliant as Jean Valjean, and I can understand why Tom Hooper wanted to cast Hugh as him. I think that all the actors/actresses chosen to play their characters did them splendidly, and I have to admit, I really enjoyed the comedy of the Thenardiers (played by Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter). Anne Hathaway's version of 'I dreamed a dream' got me in tears, and I think I was crying for the majority of the film (maybe reading the book and knowing what to expect wasn't a good idea).

I loved the enmity between Javert and Valjean too, and both Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe had brilliant singing voices - both powerful (especially when they needed to be). Gavroche (Daniel Huttlestone) was brilliant - I love that little guy, he set the tone of the June Rebellion just right, but my favourite character had to be Marius (particularly in the film - in the book he was a bit of a douche for a while, and it annoyed me!) probably because he was played by Eddie Redmayne.

I could probably do a whole post about Eddie - I think he's my favourite actor at the moment - as he's just brilliant. For 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables', he managed to convey the emotions of the song throughout, and it broke my heart. I know that since Les Mis has come out, a lot of people are like, 'ooh I love Eddie Redmayne', but he was amazing before Les Mis, as the first thing I saw him in was 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' back in 2008, when he played Angel (mine and Natalie's fangirl obsession began then).

I don't want to spoil the film for anyone who hasn't seen it, but basically it's amazing, and I think everyone should see it at least once! But take tissues! I'm going to see it again tomorrow (Rob agreed - he actually enjoyed it!)

Enjoy the pictures :)

Tara
Cosette (Amanda Seyfried)
Javert (Russell Crowe)
Fantine (Anne Hathaway)
Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman)
Marius (Eddie Redmayne)
Eponine (Smantha Barks)



Cosette and Marius (definitely jealous of Cosette)
Enjoras (Aaron Tveit) and Marius!


The Thenardiers (Helana Bonham Carter
and Sacha Baron Cohen)
Marius (again!) :D


And once more, just because I can :)







1 comment:

Comments would be much appreciated, even if you're just passing this blog - just let me know what you think :) x